Our house has a radiator heating system, fired by a large Marshall wood burner.
I’m looking to improve this heating system to achieve:
- some level of heat storage – so that we don’t have to run the wood fire whenever we want heat
- a way for that storage to stay reasonably warm for 4-5 days, so we can go away and have the heating automatically run before we return home
- thermostat control on the individual radiators so we can hold a temperature, rather than adjusting temperature through how vigorously we stoke the fire
- zoning of the rooms, so that those rooms not in use can not consume heat
- allow me to run the boiler hard, rather than damping it down, which reduces pollution and increases heat output from a given weight of wood
- the boiler also runs the domestic hot water (DHW) in winter, currently that’s an open cylinder rather than mains pressure, it’s a bit small, and takes forever to get hot water to the kitchen
- the thermostat on the boiler that controls the pump is slow to cycle, leading to the boiler overheating and boiling the water, rather than heating it. This is wasteful of heat.
In my previous post I described upgrading to ui-grid 3.0, which is the not-yet-beta version of ng-grid. Over time this will offer significant benefits, at the moment it feels like a faster ng-grid. As part of implementing it on my core application I needed to rewrite the library routines for my end-to-end testing using protractor. These were reasonably tricky to work out, so I thought I’d post them here for anyone else trying something similar.
In this tutorial segment I upgrade the league application to use the new ui-grid (ng-grid 3.0). Note that ui-grid is at this time still early beta, but offers the likelihood of better performance, a cleaner interface, easier edit in place, and removes the previous dependency on jQuery.
This code is built on the rails4 tutorial that I have previously written, and in particular uses as a starting point step 10 of that tutorial, which is available at github: PaulL : tutorial_10.
In this portion of the tutorial we add Devise integration to provide logon to the application, and provide custom pages for password reset and account unlock. This content is based somewhat on the equivalent content from the rails 3 version of the tutorial.
This will break down into three main elements:
- Provision of a registration page that matches the Devise expectations and calls the Devise register method and password change method
- Provision of a logon page that matches the Devise expectations and that calls the Devise logon method and associated methods such as password resets etc
- Provision of functionality such that AngularJS can detect that a user is not logged on and redirect the user to the logon page, rather than just having each server interaction fail
If you’ve dropped into the middle of the tutorial, you can find the code for the previous section at github: PaulL : tutorial_9. You can go to the index page for this tutorial, or you can hit the tutorial menu above and see all the posts in the Rails 4 tutorial.
In this edition I use a custom matcher to provide tailored failure messages on my Jasmine expect() statements, allowing me to get context information other than “expected ‘true’ to equal ‘false'”.
I’ve been working to flesh out the functional tests for our application – I had allowed them to fall a little into disrepair whilst I did some architectural change, and it was time to refresh the suite.
As part of my architectural changes on the application itself I had refactored a lot of code to make it common. Looking at the functional test suite it looked like it needed the same treatment. In refactoring this code I wrote some helper routines, including one that checked (for each of view, editClean, editDirty modes) whether the correct fields and buttons were enabled. All well and good, but the core of that logic was a loop through a hash, and Jasmine/Protractor reports only the line number – not which iteration through the hash we were on. Making debugging annoying – how do we tell which field it is that is enabled but shouldn’t be?
So, whilst on holiday and pondering the future somewhat, it occurred to me that it’d be nice to register for posterity my current views on some things. The main point being to put a peg in the sand at a point in time and say “I think x”, and to come back in the future and view that to see how your views have changed over time.
I thought I’d start with my views on global warming. If you’re here for the technology stuff, I suggest you don’t read this – it doesn’t relate to technology. 🙂
I’ve been working further on my application, and run into a few challenges and issues with CSRF, so I’m elaborating a bit on my earlier post. At some point my tutorials will be updated to deal with this, but for now this is a place holder that describes what CSRF protection does, where the issues lie, and what resolutions I’ve found to the overall problem.
Firstly, it seems that there are two general developer classes with Rails – those who are developing a Rails web application and therefore use Rails to create the pages, and those who are building an API using Rails, and seem to turn off CSRF protection and use an API key to authenticate (in a sense I see an API key as a long-lived username and password, so I’m not a big fan for applications that require strong security).
I’m living in a middle space – the application front-end is all AngularJS, and it’s calling Rails asynchronously using JSON. But I’m still aiming to use Devise as my authentication engine, and I want to use CSRF to protect against malicious scripts that manipulate the API without the user knowing it. The default configurations don’t really appear to deal with this situation well.
In discussing the solution, I’ll start with a simplified discussion of what CSRF protection should and shouldn’t do, and then what pieces are needed to integrate (reasonably) cleanly.